I spent most of my study time for csc165 last weekend because of the wednesday's test. I did not do very well on my assignment and previous quizzes, so I really want to get a good test mark to regain the confidence for this course. And it worked. On monday's quiz, I felt I never feel so confident when I hand in the quiz. I did three past mid-term tests to prepare for this test. However, because I really cared about my marks, I wrote too much explanation for the first and second questions, and I did not have enough time to consider the last question carefully and thoroughly.
The question asked me to prove that in (S3: ∃x ∈ D,(P(x) ∧ ¬Q(x)) v (¬P(x) ∧ Q(x))) and (S4:∃x∈ D,(¬P(x) v ¬Q(x))), one statement is true,and the other is false.
My brain was in a mess, and I thought I should first do something to make the s4 looks different:
∃x ∈ D,(P(x) ∧ ¬Q(x)) v (¬P(x) ∧ Q(x)))
<=> ∃x ∈ D,((P(x) ∧ ¬Q(x)) v ¬P(x)) ∧ ((P(x) ∧ ¬Q(x)) v Q(x)) #distributive law
<=> ∃x ∈ D,((P(x)v ¬P(x)) ∧ (¬Q(x) v ¬P(x))) ∧ ((P(x) vQ(x))∧ (¬Q(x) v Q(x))) #distributive law
<=> ∃x ∈ D, (¬Q(x) v ¬P(x)) ∧ (P(x) vQ(x)) # identity law
<=> ∃x ∈ D, ¬(Q(x) ∧ P(x)) ∧ (P(x) v Q(x)) #
And then, I found S3: ∃x ∈ D, (¬Q(x) v ¬P(x)) ∧ (P(x) vQ(x)) and S4: ∃x∈ D,(¬P(x) v ¬Q(x))
Now, I only have to give an example that when ((P(x) vQ(x)) is false to make S3 false. And my example is : D = {1,2,3,4,5), Q = {6}, P = {4}. I am not sure whether I am correct or not. I think I should be right because in this case, no P and Q is in D, so for all x in D,(P(x) or Q(x)) is false. And x in D is not (Q(x) and P(x)). While professor's solution is D ={1,2},P = {1}, Q = {1}. In professor's example, he proves that there is no x in D such that it is not (Q(x) and P(x)) and (P(x) or Q(x)), since the only x in P and Q is shared. The x that are not (P(x) and Q(x)) are outside P and Q, therefore, there does not exist a x in D such that (P(x) or Q(x)) is true.
In this week's lecture, I was taught many new skills to apply on proof. For example, I can prove a statement by proving its contrapositive, since the contrapositive of a statement is actually equivalent to the statement.
Let me set up a proof question and solve it by using contrapositive.
The square of a even number is even, prove:
∀n∈N, n^2 odd -> n odd
My solution:
∀n∈N, n even -> n^2 even
Assume n∈N #n is a natural number
Assume n is even
Then ∃x ∈ N, n = 2x #definition of n even
Then n^2 = (2x)^2 = 4x^2 = 2 * 2 *x^2 # some algebra
Then ∃y ∈ N, n^2 = 4y = 2 * (2y) # let y = x^2 and we know x^2 must be positive
Then ∃z ∈ N, n^2 = 2z # let z = 2y
Then n^2 is even # by definition of n^2 even
Then n is even -> n^2 is even. #from above
Assume n∈N #n is a natural number
Assume n is even
Then ∃x ∈ N, n = 2x #definition of n even
Then n^2 = (2x)^2 = 4x^2 = 2 * 2 *x^2 # some algebra
Then ∃y ∈ N, n^2 = 4y = 2 * (2y) # let y = x^2 and we know x^2 must be positive
Then ∃z ∈ N, n^2 = 2z # let z = 2y
Then n^2 is even # by definition of n^2 even
Then n is even -> n^2 is even. #from above
Then n^2 odd -> n odd. # contrapositive
Then ∀n∈N, n^2 odd -> n odd # conclusion
Then ∀n∈N, n^2 odd -> n odd # conclusion
Another important new idea I learnt this week is the contradiction of the contrapositive. As far as I can consider, this idea is used when the conclusion P is not very clear, so we just use the negation of assumption Q, and prove the negation of Q is wrong which is called contradiction, then we can claim that Q is correct.
No comments:
Post a Comment